Large Format Window Graphics Save the Day

Window Graphics branding helped to solve a high-end mall developer’s grand opening dilemma. Apparently many shopping mall developers struggle with the balance of store occupancy and grand opening deadlines. Such was the case with The Meadows at Lake St. Louis grand opening celebration in the late summer of 2008.

Mall Window Graphics: The Meadows

Mall Window Graphics: The Meadows

As the grand opening approached, there were still a number of retail spaces that were incomplete and unoccupied. The internal marketing group smartly decided to create some development-wide branding that could be used on the window and door fronts of the unfinished spaces.

It was an extensive project that included approximately 450 storefront windows and doors. The program also included some other large format banners and wallscapes that would help to provide a cohesive brand message for those shoppers attending the opening festivities.

The development has 260,000 square feet of retail space according to Bridget Geiss, Marketing Director at The Meadows at Lake St. Louis.

“We were 70 percent leased at the time of the Grand Opening, so it was a large project, with Commerce Color providing window graphics and vinyl banners for the remaining 30 percent.”

Window Graphics, Wallscape: The Meadows

Window Graphics, Wallscape: The Meadows

 A Window Graphics project with its own special problem

Dave Freeburg, General Manager of The Meadows at Lake St. Louis noted,

“It was quite a custom job. There were around 450 windows and doors. Each had to be measured individually because each of the window graphics had to fit perfectly into the window or door frame.”

The project also presented a unique problem. No pressure-sensitive material can be affixed directly to the windows or doors because it potentially voids the manufacturer’s warranty, according to Freeburg.

We responded with a custom solution that called for the branded graphics to be printed on a rigid material. Clear spacers were then used to keep the window graphics from coming into contact with the glass. To finish each window, spring-loaded rods were mounted between the window and door frames. These held the window graphics in position.

The window graphics system worked well and the grand opening celebration went off without a hitch. We were pleased to hear Freeburg’s final comments,

“It was an inventive solution and worked beautifully.”

Street View Window Graphics-The Meadows

Street View Window Graphics-The Meadows

Experience builds Confidence

Learn how important outdoor signage is to your business. Click the image to download this FREE ebook.

Learn how important outdoor signage is to your business. Click the image to download this FREE ebook.

The last-minute wrinkle with the window warranty issue had everyone in a bit of a panic at the time. But cool heads prevailed and we were able to use a similar experience from a related project to modify our window graphics for this site.

Please share this with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Twitter and Linked in. We appreciate it.